Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1CADyuDMP

Monday, September 6, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing

One of my favorite things to do is bake.  Everyone that knows me knows this about me.  I always bring the baked goods to any type of event.  However, when it comes to my kids' parties I always order a cake from a professional cake lady.  My daughter will be 5 (sigh) in a couple weeks.  I had this idea that I'd teach myself how to make a fantastic professional looking cupcake for her super fun birthday party.  She could really care less what the cupcakes look like.  I on the other hand do!  I have been watching different techniques on "how to frost a cupcake"on you tube.  The first one I watched was from a bakery in Seattle.  Mine didn't turn out nearly as pretty as the ones at the bakery.  Then I came across a video by Jenny Steffens.  She has a video on making the perfect cupcake and how to decorate them.  I followed her recipe for the cake but for the icing I found a recipe for Sprinkles Buttercream icing and it's really good so I used it!






I sifted the powered sugar so there wouldn't be any lumps.


I added some blue coloring but it looks green.



Not bad for my first try.  
This is the best one out of 24 though. :)  I think I should have cut a little more off the tip of the bag.
They are delicious!

Recipe for Sprinkles Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

1 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powered sugar
1 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt

1. In a bowl, combine butter, sugar and salt.  Beat until blended.
2. Add milk and vanilla and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.



The Girl Creative giveaways

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing my post! You have a great site - I love the marshmallow idea!

    Jenny Steffens
    www.occasionskc.com

    ReplyDelete